Saturday, July 30, 2011

You Are A Runner So RUN!

So I am here, made it back alive from my run with my new Daily Mile Friends and it was really wonderful to have people to run with again!  We kicked out 10 miles, which is actually the most I have run since May and I am feeling it.  I actually ended up running in Asics2160s (back to a stability shoe) but that is neither here nor there for the moment.  Do you ever notice how you can instantly find yourself chatting away with someone you don't even know on a run and it is as if you have been friends forever...

More importantly, last night I by happen stance had the opportunity to meet with a running coach who coaches everyone from newbies to pro athletes.  I explained to him my shoe problems and he examined my shoes, feet, and gait.  He, like my PT, agreed that one can not blame the shoe for my IT Band problems and the stability shoe is much better for me.  He put me in the Asics with a SuperFeet and told me to give them a whirl.

I also asked him his advice on training and what he would do.  His advice would be to start over. To do one mile one day, a day off, two miles the next day, etc!.    From there he would have me run more.  He explained "You are a runner, so RUN!" In other words, in his opinion, I am not running nearly enough and I should be running 5-6 times a week as opposed to 2-3 times a week.  I explained that the last time I tried this I got injured, fast.  He explained that it is not the volume but the types of runs (e.g., tempo, junk runs etc.).  I agreed that the last time I ran like this I was not cross training and not doing different types of runs.  However, I still have large misgivings about this idea and many questions.  Would I just get injured again?  Is this really the right way to run?  What about my PT who has coached me for so long who I would not dare give up!  On the other hand, I have been in a bit of a slump and a new training plan might help me get to where I need to me...might!  To make things more confusing,  this morning I read an article against running more than 3 times a week and had a very similar plan to the one my PT has set up and that I have been using for the past two plus years.

I wonder what your thoughts are?  My initial opinion was if this new coach could find me sneakers I would at least be interested in a gait analysis as I have been looking to have one anyway, but would you go further than that?  Do you run more than 3 times a week?  Would love opinions and thoughts on this!

No comments:

Post a Comment