Friday, August 26, 2011

What I Can Never Tell Other Runners

Do you like how I entitled this What I Can Never Tell Other Runners when you all know that I am about to spill the beans anyway.  hah. Oh well, I am working on my catchy titles.  Anyway, thanks for your comments yesterday, I really love hearing from you and will respond!

Anyway, in response to this apparent hurricane we may or may not be getting I thought I would chime in and talk about the weather.  But not just any old thing but about specifically rain and running (this is a running blog).  Honestly, rain and I don't get along to well.  Never have - I don't like it, I don't like to drive it, I don't like when it spoils my plans, and I certainly....wait for it...don't like to run it. And here is where the confession begins, I hope you have not written me off completely now.

But I digress, I first must take you back to where my hatred for rain stems.  Apparently, it is genetic. Ff course it is genetic, when you hate something about yourself, what else can you do but blame the parents?!?  I blame my mother, sorry mom.  My mom HATES to be wet and HATES the rain.  Case in point, when I was around 10 years old we took a family trip to Niagara Falls and went on Maid of the Mist - if you have no idea what I am talking about just go watch the episode of The Office where Jim and Pam get married (ps that episode makes me cry every time I watch it, honestly I am a little teary-eyed right now just thinking about it).  But generally the Maid of the Mist is this boat ride to see the falls and feel them, you go right under them and get drenched, for goodness sake they give you a puncho!  Anyway, my mom is in a wheelchair and the Maid of the Mist is located down oh about 50 good stairs and of course the elevator was broken when we went.  My dad carried her and the wheelchair up and down those fifty steps (well, up some really nice stranger helped.  I still remember that, thanks dude!) to go on this ride and she HATED it.  She was SOOOO mad at us that we put her on this ride.  I wish I was home to post a picture of this - dad please scan and send so the world can see mom hating this ride.  Ultimately, it is clear, it is genetic, I HATE rain and mom is to blame (I love you mommy!)

So what does this have to do with running and confessions?  Well here you have it, I know many of you are hardcore runners who would run through rain, sleet, snow or the gloom of night (geez people we are not postal workers, unless of course some of you are) to get your run in and sometimes I consider myself hardcore, a drizzle I am coming, tiny rain storm no problem, flooding, see you later.  But when we get down to it, when it comes to rain, I am NOT.  I 100% hate rain, I hate being in it and I hate running it!!! And don't even get me started on snow (a story for another season).    In fact, I do everything possible to avoid having to run in the rain.  With the hurricane coming up this weekend, Weather.com and I have been the best and worst of friends with me incessantly checking the weather and yelling at the screen when I do not get the desired results.  Am I the only one that does this?

So why does this all matter?  Well, a very wise girl put up a very good point - "it might rain on race day!"  My response, "it can rain on race day, what?!?!"

Like everything else in running, things are up and down. You could have a perfect run, or a shitty run. OR it can pour or it can be beautiful out.  So what is a gal to do?  As I thought about it, I realized maybe I am a bit more hardcore than I realized, because it has rained and SNOWED in FLORIDA on race days and I still get up, put my clothes on (don't you?!?), and go.  I remember that I trained hard for this, paid money for it, and people are even going to watch me do it so I can scream and yell or I can just accept it and try my best.  So ultimately, if it rains on race day I will be out there. I will moan, I will groan (no one is perfect), and I will say why me?!?!  But I trained for it so here I come.

Post Disney where it rained and snowed

 My first time to place ever and it rained!!!
Most recently, it poured but the runners were out there so, so was I!

Yet, in all out confession mode if it rains like crazy on my long run day you can find me on this baby.....that's right our gym is nearly complete check out my amazing new treadmill...as soon as I figure out completely how this puppy works I will be giving it a full recap.

Ooooo btw, where you wondering who was lucky to win the Stuffits?!?!  Britton is the lucky winner.  Email me lady!  And everyone else go check Britton out, she is sweet and amazing!

Do you love to run in the rain? Do you hate it?  How about snow while we are at it (what snow oh no not yet!!)  Have a wonderful weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment