Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Best Challah Recipe Ever

First off, my running buddy once had a blog and now she is back.  She is amazing, go check her out!!!

Second of all, I loved loved loved all your responses to my last post. I still owe people feedback, I promise it is coming!! It is crazy marathon week over here, but no excuses!

In honor of marathon week, I have been increasing gradually gorging on carbs.  I lovvvee carbs, what can I say, not much, other than I am a carb addict and proud of it. One of my favorite types of carbs is challah, a traditionally Jewish bread eaten on Shabbat.

My Kitchen Sunday Morning

In my husband's house growing up, challah was not something to be bought in the store.  Instead, it was a weekly treat that his mother would whip up as simply as if she was making a basic chocolate chip cookie recipe.   For many, challah is a difficult task.  It is incredibly hard to make the perfect challah - to get the right amount of flour, water, etc. to avoid inevitable doughy challah or the like.  For years, prior to meeting my husband I attempted to bake the best challah, and failed multiple times.  It was not until I met my husband, that I learned how to really make challah.

Within the first few months of dating my husband, his mother brought me into the kitchen and told me whats what as she danced around the kitchen teaching me how to make challah and rugleach.  The result was a beautiful golden challah, delicious cookies, and an amazing aroma that filled the air.    This, however, was not the first time she taught challah making.  My husband witnessed years earlier as my mother-in-law taught 40 women in her kitchen how to make this recipe.  And while I sometimes never make challah, it is really my husband that creates the magic, invoking his mother's challah making genes.

Thus this weekend we had our own group of 25 women over to learn how to make challah.  They each were assigned a kitchen aid, given the utensils, and partook in making their very own challah.  Aaron taught them the temperature for the water, the amount of flour needed, how to proof the yeast, and of course, how to add the cinnamon and sugar on top.  At the end of the day, everyone took home a braided challah to put in their ovens when they returned home.  While at our house, they got to sample fresh challah, challah french toast, and rugleach. 

While Aaron's mother is not here with us anymore, her challah making and many other qualities still shines through.  I can't help but share this with you all.  Now I am not a food blogger, so I am giving you the recipe the way it was given to me, the old fasion way...





What are your favorite carb meals pre-race?  

No comments:

Post a Comment