Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Down for the Count & Lessons Learned

Well, it is official.  I knew it was coming, you guessed it? I am…
SICK
Maybe it is regular cold sick or maybe brought on my pure exhaustion but however it happened I woke up yesterday at 1:00 a.m. with my eyes were tearing , my nose running, and my head feeling like a million pounds. 
So clearly when I woke up yesterday, I hit the snooze button and got all the rest I needed.  I pulled myself out of bed to do a 10-2-10 that was on the workout plan (10 mins elliptical – 2 miles running fast – 10 mins elliptical).  Clearly, isn’t that what you are supposed to do when you are sick?
I knew this sudden bout of sickness was coming on because I just kept going going going.  I was trying to do too much for the past, oh two months, ending with a ton of stuff in the past week or so and it was only a matter of time before my body asked begged me to slow down.
It was a busy crazy weekend, but well worth it!
Last week, I talked about knowing when to take a rest day even when it is not on the calendar, but when your body told you too.  Yesterday was again a chance to learn and listen to my body.  And honestly, I tried too.  I thought that maybe a good sweat session would do me good because sometimes it really does help, I swear, and today, at least for a little while, it did.
Yet, by the end of the day yesterday, I was spent!  I just wanted to curl up on the couch and give my body a time out because that is all it was really asking for.  A few moments rest – to stop going, going, going, and to relax.
So this morning.  I am wising up.  I am listening.  No extra activites, no emails (ok maybe a few), just plain rest for a day or so.  Let my body get what it wants and needs – a recuperation period meaning sleep, no exercise, and lots of TV.  No I did not run a marathon or train really really hard over the past couple of weeks but that does not mean my body is not thoroughly exhausted.  So, ok, body I get it.  You win (as you always do).  I will rest up and get better real quick (I mean I do have a big weekend planned involving running with this snazzy NY lady).
Aaron is currently shopping to make some homemade chicken soup and woke up early to make some yummy challah, the best medicine for a cold

Do you ever over do it?  How do you get back on track?

No comments:

Post a Comment