Thursday, November 24, 2011

4 Miles to Thankfulness

Honestly, I did not think I would write one of these posts.  You know, an "I am thankful post."  Nothing against them, just figured who would really care what I am thankful for.  But ultimately, I can not, not write one of these because there is so much to be thankful for these days and nothing like a 4 mile Turkey Trot to remind me of this.  Now there are soo many things I am thankful for at this point in my life but I will keep it to four in the honor of my four miler this morning.

I have been thinking all morning on how to write this post, I knew that I wanted it to have to do with running but I did not know exactly how.  Then, it hit me.   Last year at this time, I was just starting to learn how to run again.  Learn how to run for the right reasons and those right reasons seemed simple but they were not easy for me to get to.  

To Run For....

1) Fun
2) Fitness
3) Family & Friends

It was not an easy road getting to this place.  When you run just because you have to and not because you love it and because it gives you all of these wonderful things, it is sad place.  But today I am full of joy and thankfulness to say that running and I have finally come to a place where I can do it for fun, fitness, family & friends.  So here we have it

1)  Run For Fun - starting to understand where this blog title came from?  Yup, I am thankful that running is fun.  That is it no longer something I have to do, but something I want to do!  I look forward to my runs and can't wait to share them all with you.  I schedule my vacations around running (yayyy Vegas, who is going?) and make major life decisions based on my race schedule (come on, admit it, I know you do too). And finally, Run for Fun comes in the form of this blog.  An experience that has changed my life forever. I am thankful for all of you. For your comments and kind words. Amazing. That is all.
This looks fun right? Everything is fun in a sparkle skirt!

2) Fitness -  running is finally something that I can say is healthy for me.  Sure I think people believe that I am beating myself up, especially my podiatrist (whole other story), because running gives me all these aches and pains.  But honestly those folks just don't get it.  Running keeps me healthy, mind & body.  It lets me speed to a 30:09 (Garmin time) 4-miler this morning.  It lets me go out and brave the cold, when I never thought I would.  It keeps my heart going strong and it helps me honor my body.  I only want the best for my body, it does everything I ask.  I was not always good to it, but now that I am a runner, an athlete, I refuse to ever not respect my body again.  Thank you body!

Rocking it, running style, thanks body!


3) Family & Friends - this is probably the best thing that running has given to me.  It has instantly brought me closer to family members.

Pre-race prep talk for the cuz from the Stephanator

But it has also helped me make friends that I will keep a life time. It might start out as a simple shy tweet (lol), or a run where you just need a running partner and before you know it you are texting and talking on the phone like a high schooler. 

Yes, it is necessary to have two hour long phone calls, thank you very much!

 I have to say my long runs are my favorite part of my week and it is not the actual running part that I like best.  
I love running buddies, specially speedy, cool girls like this one!

And besides the friends, I have made while running, I am thankful for all the friends and family that are supportive of my running - that is hard stuff.  Dealing with runners and spectating is serious business and I could not thank them enough.  I am sure my dad loves his random trips everywhere, and crazy hours trying to get out of a city or times where there is no where to park but he puts up with it...thanks Dad!  

Thumbs up for running!


Friends that actually come to my races, cool!

4) I said there was four right.  You know where this is going hmm? I am thankful for my husband - my partner, my best friend (yes I am sappy!).  Every day I am reminded of how blessed I am to be married to a man that is so warm, loving, supportive, and caring as mine.  My only wish is that others can find the happiness that I have found in my relationship with him. He is pretty much the best, that is why I chased him down the minute I saw him - true story.  I chased him!

Just cuddling, what else is there :) 

So thank you everyone.  Have a wonderful, Happy Thanksgiving.  What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment