Sunday, June 10, 2012

Baby B - Week 16

Last night as I was relaxing in bed before I fell asleep (you know like at 7 p.m.), I was reading through my old blog posts and it got my semi-motivated to blog, actually pretty motivated but it is hard to find something to blog about these days when my motivated has been slim. I have, however, really wanted to blog about all things Baby B for some time now, but this whole motivation/fatigue/sick thing really wins out time and time again.  But, there are sometimes, albeit few and far between, where I feel "normal," and thus here we are attempting a Baby Blog post (at least in between trying to get Wubby to go to the bathroom - a full time job).

Bedroom takeovers 


I have thought a lot about how to integrate Baby B stuff into the blog and still balance with some running stuff, but there is no real way to balance right now.  People tend to do a lot of weekly updates so I am shamelessly stealing from some of my favorites (Jen, Michele, and Liz and there may be more than weekly updates, we shall see, hope you will hang in for the ride!

Week 16


How have I been feeling and where in the world have I been?  How do you go from blogging every day to blogging once in a blue moon you ask? Get pregnant! Best way to put everything and anything on hold, at least if you are in my pregnancy body.  I have never ever been good at relaxing. Why do you think I went to law school?  I am total Type A, most do everything be involved in everything person. 

Well, Baby B has had other things to say about this.   I have learned very quickly the lessons all moms already know - your life, your body, your everything are no longer your own.   So instead of my usual "Go, Go, Go" I have to take a big break from life my fast paced life in exchange for some high quality time with my couch and bed.  I have never watched so much TV shows and movies in my life.   To sum it up, my pregnancy symptoms have pretty much left me too sick to do anything other than lie in bed and rest. Back rubs during this time are, however, allowed and encourage.  So what are my actual symptoms thus far?  Before going into this, I just want to say that I am thinking of all my infertility friends right now and want to be sensitive to them.  Also, I don't want this to be construed as complaining because I would take it any day but this is just my experiences and I can't say they have all been pleasant but I would not change them for the world.
  • Nausea - lots and lots of nausea - like 24/7 nausea. Oh how fun!  Whoever named it morning sickness was clearly a guy.  It does not just happen in the morning and it does not get better as the day goes on - at least for me.   I know you will tell me your tricks but believe me we tried them and they either (a) did not work at all or (b) just caused other problems.  My doctor told me at my 14 week appointment to just adjust expectation because she had no more ideas for me.  We tried Unisom (which made me crazy sleep and loopy), Zofran (constipation in the sense that no one should ever have to deal with), all types of ginger products, small/frequent meals, crackers...yea you name it.  Mainly I just have to deal with it.  I found that eating food that "coats my stomach" (e.g., greasy food) helps - so I took one for the team and upped my french fry intake ;).   Luckily the other thing that helps is exercise. So there is a balance there.  At this point, it has gotten a whole lot better (knock on wood).  Oh it still happens.  My body likes to tell me if it is hungry (all the time) or tired (all the time) by getting nauseous, it also does not like cars.
  • Fatigue - I like to call this the "Hit by a Bus" Symptom because that is how I feel especially when it is paired with a massive headache which I can only describe as migraine like.  I sleep about 10 hours a night.  I get in bed at around 7 and am asleep by 9/930 (this is a big improvement only a few weeks ago I was asleep at 8).  I sleep until about 6/630 (a few weeks ago it was like 7:30).  When I wake up, it takes me at least a half hour to get out of bed.  On not so good days, I can't fathom the idea of getting out of bed to do anything.  My legs feel like lead and the idea of getting up and taking a shower sounds impossible.  On "ok days," I feel ok until about 12 and then I am so exhausted and keep asking why we don't get nap time at work.  I end up eating every hour to get through.  On good days, I make it to 3 or 4 before I am so ready to climb back into bed.
The three of us cuddling, can you tell?
  • Constipation/Stomach Cramps - TMI?  Sorry, it is a fact of pregnancy life so I am giving you the whole picture. I will spare you further details of how I have had to deal with these things but I think the thing that helped the most for me was understanding how to eat while pregnant and adjusting it as my body adjusts.  For a time, I broke up my meals and ate them throughout the day because really big meals equaled 48 hour stomach aches (literally).  It does mean apple  juice every day (apple juice is pretty much my answer to all things constipation).  Also changing the times I eat so I never get too hungry - breakfast is at 7:30 and 8:30 (usually I break it up),  lunch is at 11:30 and if I can help it dinner is around 5:30 with lots of snacking in between. 
  • So before this post gets too long other symptoms have been: major headaches, bigger and sorer breasts, stuffy nose (although that could be allergies), and enhanced sense of smell (do not come near me with a cup of coffee or else).  To sum it up, I am a typical pregnant woman and I pretty much let you know it as I am not so good at dealing with some of these symptoms (THEY HURT), but I would not change it.
This is totally my happy pregnancy face!

Emotionally how am I feeling otherwise? Wow this has been  roller coaster ride and I have to admit I am pretty scared of roller coasters.  Generally, life has been about surviving.  Surviving feeling so sick and so tired.  Then, there is a good amount of nerves stemming from my inability to take care of Wubby. I have tons of trouble taking care of the Wubs (puppies are difficult!) and this has pretty much translated into me deciding I will never be able to take care of a baby.  I am trying to turn this around and above all else learn patience with Wubby.  I think patience is the best lesson that Wubby is teaching me right now.  I wish I could say thus far I am experiencing so many joys of pregnancy but so far it has just been HARD.  I am so happy to be pregnant and do not want to complain in any way shape or form but so far I have had a difficult time connecting and experiencing the joys of pregnancy and more just battling through.  Growing a baby is hard stuff!  Right now I am taking one hour, one minute at a time.  And reading lots and lots of baby books!

Looks so innocent, so little, so calm.  Don't be fooled he is strong and has a full list of tricks!


Exercise.  Not so easy when you are a 100% fatigued.  Life in the running world is much different and sooo much slower than before.  But it is all relative and it is worth it - generally working out makes me feel better, more alive, and less sick! Bonus!  I take exercise as it comes and do what I can do when I can do it.  I also don't wear a Garmin or worry too much about time and distance. I let my body do what it can and just go with it. 
  • Monday: sick - no workout
  • Tuesday: sick - 30 minutes sloooow on the elliptical
  • Wednesday: 40 minutes on the elliptical?
  • Thursday: 10 minutes on the elliptical, 2 miles in about 17:30 minutes, 10 minutes on the elliptical; 45 minutes of walking
  • Friday: 1 hour of weights
  • Saturday: 5 plus miles in ?? about a little under an hour
  • Sunday: we shall see.
Week 14

I could go on and on especially since this is the first update.  Have I lost you yet?  If not, thanks for making it this far.  

Now I have a question for you, I am looking for good pregnancy and young mommy bloggers that I can follow, have any for me to follow?!

No comments:

Post a Comment