Sunday, May 1, 2011

Weekly Recap

So, I have had this blog for a week now and I have not actually posted about my runs.  So it seems like it is about time.  I write this from my planted space on the couch as I sit with my icepacks and try to heal from this week....Lately my right knee/IT band has been acting up meaning massive pain.  And due to that my left hip flexor and IT band has also been hurting as I try to compensate.  My PT says there is nothing wrong....mainly my biological makeup does not like running and in other words my nerves fire quicker and i get to experience more pain quicker even when I play it smart, cross train, not running two days in a row, and lots of rest but still lots of pain for me about every six months there is something new, some new injury. Not that I complaining or anything..ok I am kind of complaining. It just sucks that every six months something else is wrong with me but I try to realize that I am lucky to run and that I just have to take one day at a time and listen to my body.

So this week I tried to run and ice and rest, run and ice and rest and REPEAT again and again.

Last Sunday, I ran 6, I was suppose to run 10 but it was bad news, I was in so much pain and it was the first time the pain got so bad so I stopped.  Luckily I did loops.  Sometimes on my long runs i just do loops so I can stop by my car for fuel and drinks but it gets so boring. Anyone have an advice on how to fuel and hydrate without loops or wearing those belts?
TIME: 50:29
Mile 1: 8:30
Mile 2: 8:08
Mile 3: 8:27
Mile 4: 8:26
Mile 5: 8:27
Mile 6: 8:36
Monday, I rested and iced!
Tuesday, I ran with my running buddy. We did four and I was psyched by how well it went and the knee behaved alright.  The workout was suppose to include hills so added those in as well.  Again i can't say enough about running with someone who is so encouraging. I really pushed myself.
TIME: 31:14
Mile 1: 7:53
Mile 2: 8:06
Mile 3: 7:41
Mile 4: 7:32
I then went and did weights to try and calm down the knee.
Wednesday I headed over to PT who did a lot of exercises to calm it down further and confirmed nothing was wrong and to keep at it.
 Thursday me and the running buddy did 5 flat and fast.  The goal was two easy and three fast.  I was limping by the end but the weights and elliptical after helped!
TIME: 39:23
Mile 1: 7:40
Mile 2: 7:54
Mile 3: 7:55
Mile 4: 8:00
Mile 5: 7:54
Friday I did some upper body and elliptical and it was ok as well.

Yesterday, Saturday, the plan was 11.  The first five felt good, the next two = major pain, the next 3 were great and fast (post Gatorade and granola bar refueling) but the last one was awful, so much pain and i slowed down by more than a 1 minute and a half!
TIME:1:35:13
Mile 1: 8:24...warming up and feeling good
Mile 2: 8:29...still doing good..
Mile 3: 8:34....not bad, stop for some water and bite of granola bar
Mile 4: 8:28...feeling ok still
MIle 5: 8:23...still ok
Mile 6: 8:56...decided to turn around, feeling the wind and hurting majorly! 
Mile 7: 8:47....still hurting really badly!
Mile 8:8:15....stop for Gatorade and granola bar and now feeling great!
Mile 9: 8:14...feeling even better
Mile 10: 8:27...still doing ok! even with major hills
Mile 11: 9:39 ....massive pain, almost did not make it! but did it....

 Needless to say, I am sitting on my butt today hoping that tomorrow's run will go ok and that i can get into PT this week...Stay tuned!  Any advice for the limping runner here?

No comments:

Post a Comment