Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Mother's Day Run & Fun

This weekend was a blast! I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day weekend.  I want to be sensitive about this post because not everyone has a mother, not everyone is a mother, some people want to be a mother but can't and some people don't want to be a mother.  Having fallen into the category of not having a  living mom and now being a mom (but also having had trouble becoming a mom), this was a very emotional day for me.  I was excited and happy to celebrate my very first mother's day as a mom, but also there were surprisingly some tears that sneaked up on me - I was very sad I was away from my hometown where my family was and felt excluded and a bit alone when everyone else was going to their families.  I miss my moms (I consider both my mom and my mother-in-law mothers).   I also feel for those who are struggling in many different respects on a day like this. I just felt the need to acknowledge this before going further.   To say, that I get it too.  Life is not always fair, but we do the best we can.

And we have a lot to be thankful for......


Doesn't get much better than this

My wonderful boys

This morning, I started my Mother's Day with what else, a 10 mile run.   I was extremely nervous about this run as my knees have been acting up since Thursday.  Friday and Saturday they felt awful.  I was pretty much expecting this run not to happen.  But I took it easy on Saturday and Sunday I woke up and things seemed to be O.K. so after consulting with Aaron and Robin I decided to go for it - granted Aaron was asleep and maybe so was Robin....Right now, tonight, they still feel O.K. but heading to the coach/P.T. tomorrow.

I could not ask for much more out of this run.  Sure it was nowhere near as fast as I used to be, but I had a hard tiring week, just ran a half, and oh yea there is that whole new mom thing, so I am trying to be gentle with myself.  My knees behaved and I had some nice negative splits with the first mile coming in around 9:40 and the last mile around 8:55 = 1:34:00.  Bigger and better things about this run - it rained and that was sooo refreshing.  Also, for the first time ever I ran with a water belt and it actually worked!! More on this another day...

Thank you ifitness - finally a belt that worked!!!

The better part of Mother's Day came after this run.  After all, shockingly, life does not revolve around running, sorry folks.  Today, for Mother's Day, we went into Boston for the "Duckling Day Parade."  This by far the cutest thing ever.  It occurs at Boston Commons and replicates the childhood book of Make Way for Ducklings.  It does so with a mini-parade with parents and children all dressed up in their ducky costumes.  There are also a ton of activities before but because of the rain we just made it for the parade.....

Lee is a very happy duckling and a cute one at that

Ever try to get a baby to pose for a picture...uhh, granted Aaron and I are not looking either.  I actually love love this picture.

So we marched in the parade and into the public gardens just like in the book.  Then we hung out and looked at all the real duckies for a while and finally headed to Newbury for a wonderful trip to North Face - sometimes it is about running ;)


Lee is not sure about these duckies

In the end, it was a wonderful day.  I am totally zonked and I hope everyone had a great day as well.

How was everyone's weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment