Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Running Dreams (or lack thereof)

Leave it to me to decide to try to write a coherent post at 2:28 a.m.  That is what I get for going to bed at 8 p.m.  It sounded like a great idea at the time, but of course that means I woke up at 1 a.m. and after an hour of tossing and turning I decided it would be much more fun to G-chat with some of my West Coast friends than to stare at the clock in the inevitable "I have to be up in five hours, get to sleep kind of way."

And apparently lately when I am lucky enough to get some sleep, I have been enjoying some crazy running dreams.  As I am not running much of late (and I guess that is partly why there is not much to blog about) and have convinced myself that I do not care that much,  my subconscious has apparently been on overdrive letting my know how much I actually do miss running.  Case in point, last night's dream (before I decided to wake up at the nice hour of 4:30 a.m.), involved a 5 mile race that I have coming up in June, the Squirrel Run.  The Squirrel Run, because I know you care deeply, is a run put on by my P.T. in honor of his brother to raise money for ALS.  I have run this race for the past two years and last year received my first ever medal - The Day I Fell in Love with Squirrels (little known fact I am super scared of squirrels).

Shameful confession - that balloon deflated after a week, I still have it


Ok, Ok, I digress. So in my dream, Aaron and I are running the Squirrel Run together - as we plan to do this year - and we are nowhere near the front, but I have decided to be super competitive and get it in my head that we are going to win this thing (you know because that is realistic considering the winners have likely already crossed the finish line).  I see my first target, a relative, and speed off to pass her with Aaron at my side.  I see my next target, which, no judgment, is another close friend who is speed walking, and pass her.  What does this all say about myself? I try not to analyze.  At this point, I have pretty much crowned myself the fastest runner out there and convinced myself I am going to win.

This is exactly how strong and fast I looked like in my dream - who is this girl?!?


I know you are all in suspense at this point, edge of your seat kind of stuff we have got going on here, but unfortunately I woke up.  And I guess the subconscious wins out because next thing I know I am debating whether or not the sound of the treadmill banging directly over head from our bedroom will wake Aaron at 5 a.m. or cause Wubby to go crazy.  So I did the respectful thing,  I took my chances.  And I am so glad I did because I got to have the best 3 mile run I have had in months - yes months.  It was nice to have that wonderful "great run, on top of the world" adrenaline-type feeling for a few moments and it was a wonderful way to start the day.

See look proof I am red faced and everything


Which I guess begs the question, would running at 2:45 a.m. be dis-resepectful to those men (Aaron and Wubby) who are actually sleeping right now in my house?  Forget dis-respect, I may have had a great run but I am not that crazy, I think it is time to just try for some more sleep.  Night all!!

Wubby pictures NEVER get old 


Do you ever dream in running?

No comments:

Post a Comment